Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

13 Laps Per Mile - LIC YMCA

The Long Island City Branch of the YMCA has a track that I run three times a week. 13 laps makes a mile, and my minimum is 2 miles, so that's 26 times. My longest distance yet is 4 miles, or 52 laps. I have worked out an elaborate counting system to make sure I keep track, and I listen to the podcasts of KCRW's "The Business" and "Good Food," or I listen to what I call my "you can do it" songs: Dolly Parton's "9 to 5," Eminem's "Lose Yourself," and Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl," which get mixed in whatever other fast paced songs I want to listen to. "Holding Out for a Hero" always makes me feel like I can run a thousand miles.

Now, I'm a huge fan of the Y. It's a great value- only $39 per month for 1 person, and in addition to the track they've got weight and cardio machines, a pool, and a really nice selection of classes. I have taken yoga classes with both of the instructors, and really enjoyed them. I keep meaning to go back, but I'm committed to running 3 days a week and it seems like I can't find exercise time outside of that.

My only complaint is that the track is relatively unmonitored, and I get tired of having to dodge small children playing around, or people walking slowly side by side (the track is only three lanes wide), or people who don't look where they're going and step in front of me when I'm running by. Also, there are clearly posted signs that state that on M,W,F, and Sa you run one way, and on the other days you run the other, but some people don't pay attention that either. It would seem logical that walkers should give way to runners, but many of the walkers don't understand this. It's very frustrating to have to worry about dodging walkers or children when you're also trying to increase speed and endurance. I'm hoping to run the marathon this year or the next, and if I'm doing 260 laps (20 miles) on that track, you better get out of my way. Yeah, I'm talking to you, lady talkin on your cell phone walking the wrong way with your 2-year-old who thinks it's funny when I have to jump out of the way to avoid stepping on him. Please, just let me run.

I have to add that the staff has been very sympathetic to my complaints- I don't blame them. They can't monitor everyone. But I am hoping that they can figure out some way to remedy this situation. I suggested signs that tell walkers to keep to one side or the other, and the guy I spoke to seemed to think that was a good idea. I'm not going to hold it against them if they can't fix it. There's only so much that can be done to regulate the unruly public.

Although requiring some sort of application process for using the track would sit fine by me.

No comments: