Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cafe Cuteness on the South Side

My friend is newly pregnant & suffering from hideous morning sickness, so I put together a care package for her. She lives in Park Slope, which makes her a long-distance friend, so I figured I better mail it otherwise she'll have had the baby already by the time we see each other.

What a lovely day for a walk! My iPod mini playing the latest episode of Filmspotting, I strolled down 47th Avenue all the way to our hellhole of a post office on 44th. Just as I'm about to pay for my package (thank goodness I was using the machine & hadn't waited in line for a surly teller), I have a mental flash. To my wallet. Sitting on the dining room table.

I leave the PO and call Wesley to tell him how stupid I am. He tells me he's just about to leave for Hackensack (don't ask), and he can meet me at 43rd St and 48th Ave and hand off his wallet on the way to the BQE. Beats the pants off of going back home.

Instead of walking back down 44th St, I decide to take 43rd & stop in at the library. A sign caught my eye: "Free Wireless." I stepped inside the Dolce Vita Cafe on the corner of 43rd Street and 48th Avenue, and discovered a gorgeous, welcoming environment that immediately made me want to order a Limonata and a pastry. I couldn't stay today, but I'm going to go back there ASAP to write up a full review. In the meantime, read this article from the Queens Chronicle.

3 comments:

grvsmth said...

Is this the space that used to be Tricolorii, or next door to it? Tricolorii had some pretty tasty Romanian food.

Anonymous said...

Tricolorii is no more... I never went there, unfortunately. But some flyers in the bathroom lead me to believe that Dolce Vita is Romanian-owned.

Anonymous said...

As I gain new appreciation for this changing nabe, I like the Chronicle's line "Dolce Vita is the face of the new Sunnyside — elegant, smart and worldly." I popped in for a coffee to go the other morning and there were 30 euro dudes in there watching a soccer game. i'ts like 8:45am and the place is packed with soccer fans?!?! i never visited tricolorii but noticed they now have nice chic red cushioned seating, don't know if its leftover from the last business. the coffee wasn't anything to write home about but it was only $1 and its a good location. good to know its there.