Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Area Mom Fed Up With Parks

Reader Marie Walnut writes in to share her hair raising experiences as a new mom out in the wilds of Sunnyside playgroundland:

Only recently I found myself venturing into the New York City parks and playgrounds now that I’m a mother. I have always taken walks in Central Park, but it’s really not the same as the local play spaces. Nothing like the play spaces we have here in Sunnyside – Lou Lodati and Noonan playgrounds.

I have spent more hours at Lou Lodati than I care to count on the few warm days we have had so far. I had no idea that I was going to encounter such unfortunate things there. Before I entered for the first time I referred to the rules that are clearly posted on gate. However, after sitting there for a few minutes I started to notice that many of the rules were broken. I noticed dogs, people lying on benches who were not in the company of children, and worst of all cigarette smoke was rampant.

I can forgive most wafting cigarette smoke, but when the blue haze makes way over my newborn’s face I find it totally unacceptable. On one of the first lovely spring days in Sunnyside, the smoke was heavy over at Lou Lodati playground. There were women pushing baby buggies smoking their super 110s. The kids were happily breathing in the thick blue haze when the wind blew in the right direction. Even the park attendant was puffing a butt close to the restroom facilities in plain view of all to see. I had to move to three different benches to save my baby from a lifetime of asthma just from one visit to Lou Lodati.

A few days later I decided that the weather was too nice and I needed to go back for another round of the abusive relationship I have entered into as a park sitter at Lou Lodati. Little did I know that the day would bring some interaction with the local adolescent boys? How does a group of young mothers with little babies get into a verbal altercation with tween boys? Well visit Lou Lodati after school lets out and you will see. After some young punks decided to kick their soccer ball ferociously around four young moms and their babies, one brave mom went to reason with them. They didn’t let up and decided to release as many uses of the F-word they could configure in their broken sentences. No park attendant was to be found though – probably out smoking…

I discovered that hanging out in Sunnyside’s playgrounds is more of a standoff than an enjoyable walk through the park.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

in addition, i am appalled at the amount of drunk men in plain view of the children during the day at the playground. i understand these playgrounds are dually a public park, but it makes me really nervous to think about raising children in sunnyside when the few playgrounds around are filled with unsavory characters.

who can i contact about these sorts of complaints? would our district representative be able to do anything?

Eric Hauser said...

1) call 311 if you want to complain about unsavory characters or inattentive park attendants. It might take a few calls but they will get the point.

2) if there are tween/teens that are being abusive and threatening CALL 911 and the police will respond.

3) Write letters to Eric Gioia - he pays attention and will work with you.

4) Don't forget that you live in a large city - no, you shouldn't have to deal with little jerks kicking soccer balls around your infants or drunks, etc. BUT you have to realize that this ain't Mayberry.

Ant said...

I think calling 311 is a waste of time for something like this; I'm on the fence about Gioia doing anything either.

Instead, address your letter to the commissioner and the borough commissioner of Parks & Rec.

Comm. Adrian Benepe
Central Park
830 5th Avenue
New York , New York 10021

Boro Comm. Dorothy Lewandowski
The Overlook
80-30 Park Lane
Kew Gardens, NY 11415

Eric Hauser said...

re: Ant ... indeed writing to those folks as well certainly won't hurt, but every time I've called 311 they have reacted surprisingly well, regardless of the type of complaint (noise, garbage, etc.).

Robyn said...

I would like to put a word in for Sunnyside Park (39th Ave & 49th St). Yes, you have to pay a yearly membership to join but it is well worth it. The gates are closed so children have the freedom to roam without the parents or guardians hovering over them, there are clear areas for smoking and not smoking, ball playing and no ball playing and I feel comfortable enough to leave my bag unattended on a bench if I need to.

The park has really improved and diversified over the past six years or so. And the board has a long history of making payment plans with families for whom the fee is a hurdle. Plus you have a wonderful community of people there again and again, so you meet some great people. And if you have a complaint, there is someone there all the time to speak with immediately.

There's my plug for Sunnyside Park!

Anonymous said...

RE: Sunnyside Park

When my wife and I were apartment hunting in the area we stumbled upon this place. We had no idea it was a private park since the person ahead of us held the gate open and we just went in. After subsequently finding out it was a members-only venue, we were walking past and decided to have a look with an eye towards joining. We had no problem waiting for someone to go in and to follow them in to the park.

Although my wife and I are not dangerous folks, it seems pretty easy for a dedicated party with more sinister motives to make their way in. We don't care so much since we're two people and easily able to keep an eye on our kid when we're out. There's a burgeoning Park Slope-style yuppie consciousnees on the north side of the elevated that we find amusing, and this is an example of just that. You live in a city, you're not "safe" as a matter of course, and you should bear that in mind and not fool yourself into thinking/wishing differently.

Anonymous said...

Sunnyside Park is one of the two private parks in NYC, unlike the one in Manhattan, you dont need a key to get into the park, the gate is for keeping children from runnning out chasing a ball or wandering out, not for keeping people who are not members to enter. The attendant or park manager is on duty at all times so if there is a complaint or strange activities happening, there is always someone to go to and address any issues. There is definately the feeling of being "safe" there but that is not the only reason I joined the SG Park. There's a lot more to do there, the sandbox, the large ground for kids to learn to walk, ride a bike, play baseball, soccer, picnic tables, etc. There is always a familiar face or two to chat with, everyone respects the place and each other's company and even help keep an eye out for each other's kids. There is little worry for drunkards, ciggarette butts or urine and trash on the ground where little children might fall or crawl on, I dont need to bring toys, all the kids share the park toys, trucks and bikes and whatever is there to share, it's not a perfect park or your living room and backyard but it's a relaxing outdoor space that I love taking my son where he can meet his friends and find new buddies.
It's actually cheaper to join for your whole family than to enter just yourself as member at the gym, nobody will criticize you for being a yuppie by joining the gym but for some reason, there's been a lot of talks about having to pay to be a member at SG park. I go to the private and public park and occasionally, Central Park, whatever turns you on, enjoy it!