Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Friday, October 24, 2008

QUEENS LIBRARY AT SUNNYSIDE BEGINS RENOVATION

Supercool!

Queens Library at Sunnyside, 43-06 Greenpoint Avenue, is being renovated. The library will be closed as of November 8 for approximately one week. It will re-open for limited service, using a small area of the library and a side entrance on Greenpoint Avenue.

Construction will be completed in spring of 2009.

Customer service improvements will include: a new entrance featuring a glass façade, fast RFID self-service check out, a bright, new décor, a new teen area with computers, more computers, more seating and a new media area.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I was told it the renovation will also include the addition of a deposit box so you can return your books 24/7, the first of its kind for the Queens Library.

Anonymous said...

Cool... I hope they'll also extend their hours. It's never open when I'm home!

Anonymous said...

Library is now open in a small room on the side entrance while major reconstruction takes place. I overheard one of the librarians say that the work will take about seven months! Everyone be nice to them, they'll have to work in cramped quarters for quite some time.

P.S. - With the small space there's little room for shelving, but they do have the resource materials and you can reserve items through queenslibrary.org with your library card.

Anonymous said...

Queens Library - Sunnyside
I hope they get a better system for returned books. They don't give receipts when you return them. I've had a problem about 3 times over the last few years. They said that I didn't return a book, when I did. Once I went and found it on the shelf myself. Other times I just paid for them, rather than dispute it. I've heard other people in there complaining about this too. Also, I know they don't make much money, but I don't find any of the librarians pleasant or helpful. One in particular, I find to be very surly. I always hope I don't get her when I'm checking out my books and I'm a grown-up. Just imagine how the kids feel.

Tom in Sunnyside said...

Sunnyside Library has finished renovations and has re-opened, El Yay!

The place looks very nice and the technology has been updtaed to standards in other librarys around Queens, automated checkout, etc.

Separate areas for kids, teens and adults should mean all can use the library without butting up against each other.

Well done, you guys were missed!