Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Traders Joe's in Under an Hour--No Kidding!

My friend Sarah and I took a trip to the new Forest Hills Trader Joe's today. Trader Joe's is always my first port of call when I travel to LA, for snack foods and Greek-style yogurt and frozen delights to keep me from spending money at the city's generally underwhelming restaurants (though they have us way beat on Mexican and sushi).

You might be thinking, what kind of crazy person goes to a new Trader Joe's on a Saturday afternoon? I mean, haven't we learned by now that weekend shopping in Queens can be a nightmare of epic proportions? I have never been more homicidal then the day the Target had no shopping carts on the third floor. None. Not a one.

But I'm here to tell a happy tale.

We got parking right away. The lot was crowded, but not overflowing.

Inside, it was a bit of a madhouse, but only because it seemed like everybody knew each other. Everybody was catching up with friends, happy to have bumped into them next to the whole wheat pasta or while reaching for the same box of pluots. Such a far cry from the outright hostility from other customers that you routinely encounter at Pathmark. (And I am the worst of sinners in this regard.)

The aisles are a bit cramped, but it can't really be helped--there are some structural pillars that block your way. Best strategy is to park your cart at the end of the aisle, where there is plenty of room, and walk up and down.

The selection is just as marvelous as I'd hoped, and I had to work really hard to keep within my budget. Wesley urged me "don't spend too much money." Not difficult, because unlike Whole Foods, Trader Joe's is known for reasonable pricing. I bought some freezer meals that will be great after the baby shows up (any day now).

I finished shopping before Sarah, because she was not operating under the same unreasonable budgetary constraints as I was. Plus, she likes to read the labels looking for low sodium and superfoods. So I finished before her. There was room by the manager's office for me to hang out and be out of the way. I asked a manager if he minded if I sat on the floor (oh, my aching back!). And do you know what he did? He got me a freaking chair, people. Like, with a back and everything. If you've ever been pregnant in Queens you know how rare it is to get any special treatment--like a seat on the subway.

We sailed through check out and were waited on by very friendly, cheerful check out clerks and baggers. And you will not believe what happened next. Did you know that they have an employee in the parking lot to help you put your bags in the car and to return your shopping cart? So you don't have to? I have never heard of such a thing.

We left the parking lot smiling. And back at home, Wesley and I at the shit out of some Trader Joe's chocolate chip cookies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to go, though Trader Joe's (Like Trader Vic's of the 60s) is a glorification of and camouflage of globalization. I think it is the exact opposite of the last post of yours I commented on (the new health-food store in sunnyside). The former is a local business and Joe's is corporate globalization dolled up in green tights. But these chains remind me of when I lived in Cali and there were precious few small businesses to support. Trader Joe's had yummy good stuff, and it reminds me of when my kids were little and life was simple, so I will make hajj to this capitalist mecca. But I will know that it is part of rapacious globalization, and I will participate, though I know I should have bought things at the farmer's market at 43rd and Skillman on Saturday.

Eric Hauser said...

Just got back from there (Sunday, 1pm-ish). It was an utter zoo. Aimless shoppers using carts for seemingly no reason wandering around slowly with no regard for anyone else trying to get around. I don't understand why a smallish store like TJs doesn't use the compact carts that are basically two baskets - one up top and one on the bottom - instead of the bigger carts. Anyway, we got our cheap olive oil and got the hell out. I'm glad it's there but it won't be a regular trip for us. Now ... if only they opened a TJs wine shop ...

Sunnysider said...

It's an easy trip for all of you that have cars, but I do not, so I will stick to the Union Square location. This borough needs a Trader Joe' that is actually accesible via the subway.

Anonymous said...

Was at the Union Square one last night, a depressing experience, so I was thrilled to read this, though public transport accessibility would be much appreciated. I just left because they didn't have my prime reasons for going: fresh gallon of TJ's-brand OJ and frozen pot pies--the best on earth. Not worth waiting an hour on the line that wraps around the entire store without those.

Anonymous said...

Actually, don't busses go up & down Woodhaven Blvd frequently? Connect to EFRV and you're in!