Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Grind has Espresso, Ambience, and Good Cheap Food

Last weekend I ran the Poland Spring Marathon Kick Off Race, a 5-miler in Central Park. On the way home, I decided to stop in at The Grind, located on the corner of Queens Boulevard and 39th Place on the wrong side of the tracks.

I am a fan of the egg sandwich on the croissant, having fond memories of the way the Grey Dog did it in my old 'hood--the West Village. They used patty sausage but always used too much egg, and I'd end up having to discard half of it. So when I saw that the Grind was offering egg sandwiches on croissants, I thought I'd check it out. The first time I ordered one, I got just egg and bacon, and the bacon was a little undercooked. It also took a really long time to make, around 20 minutes, and given that I had just come back from a race (I think it was the 4M Anniversary Run back in May), I was not really happy about waiting. But the eggs were deliciously fluffy, scrambled not fried, and a croissant really is the best bread for a breakfast sandwich.

So last weekend, I ordered my sandwich (which is also very, very inexpensive), but when I got home, it had cheese on it. Quel horreur!! I have a deep-seated loathing of cheese and eggs together that I cannot explain. But I was really, really hungry after my run so I decided to eat it anyway. Quel surprise!! It was deliciously delicious! I have never enjoyed a sandwich more. So last week, for my birthday, I decided to repeat the experience & invite Wesley to join me. The Grind does not deliver, but it's a close enough walk and it was a nice, clear day. I phoned in my order, they said 5 minutes, and, to my happiness, the sandwiches were hot and ready the moment I walked in the door. We were sufficiently sophonsified, as they say.

The Grind also offers sandwiches, smoothies, coffee, tea, assorted pastries, and fondue, which we have not tried. They have flat-screen TVs playing futbol, lest anyone forget we are still in Queens. We met a friend there, a fellow member of the Sunnyside A/V Club, and I had a quesadilla that hit the spot.

Call 'em up, stop on by, get cheese on your eggs. Just keep 'em in business, please?
(718) 361-0396 3924 Queens Blvd

No comments: