Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Just in Time to Burn Down Starbuck's


I don't really know what that means. But, I do know that the new Starfxck's on Queens Blvd. doesn't roast their beans on premises. They won't vacuum pack a bag of fresh-ground coffee for you. They won't smile 'cuz they know ya'. Man. I don't really care about Starbuck's. You want an americano? Go ahead. No sweat off my back really.

But, if you're proud of the stuff you find that's good in this world, like I am. If you like for your friends and family to take notice of the little things you do, then do yourself, your friends and your family a favor -pick up some coffee at Baruir's. Queens Blvd and 41st. St. They've been there for forty years as of Sunday. They might have a thing or two on Starbuck's.

Oh, don't think we've forgotten about our friends at The Grind. Claire's been there, she's a convert. Me? Well. You'll get that mouthful later, I suppose. Right now, while we're at the party for Baruir's, I'll keep a civil tongue.

My blend: a mix of the double roasted french and the decaf hazelnut. I'm dialing it down a bit as I get older.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there-

Randomly found your blog and totally love it. I have lived in Sunnyside since 1999 and find myself being bitter and snarky as brooklyites and hipsters invade "my" turf.

Seeing others who have the same feelings about intruding starbucks and glory days of a neighborhood under the radar is refreshing. Thanks!

Jen
www.jenlimarzi.com

Anonymous said...

hey there - just wanted to say love the blog - keep up the good work and i couldn't agree with you more about the starbucks. let's hope the blackhole of the pit next to them that seems to cause the failure of every other business in its proximity has a detrimental effect on them.

when my fiancee and i were at the dog park a couple months ago as they were preparing to open, we were mouthing off about how pissed we were about it to a relative dog park stranger. his reaction was shocking - he said, "let me ask you a question: do you guys OWN your apartment?" Diehard renters we are, we told him no. "Well," he said with disdain, "if you owned your own place you might feel differently about a starbucks opening in the neighborhood." oh really? so my property values skyrocket because hipster fucks like you move in to sunnyside causing all the real folks to leave because they can't afford it anymore? No thanks. I really wanted to kick him in the teeth.

Seeya!

Claire Deveron said...

Eric--

Wesley will hold him down while you kick.

Claire Deveron said...

Eric--

Wesley will hold him down while you kick.