Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Skillman Welcomes Stray

Several years ago, Wesley and I were imprisoned in Columbus, Ohio for a period of 30 days. During our time there, we ate very poorly, because we like our burgers medium rare and you can't do that to a "frozen product," as we were told at one establishment that advertised itself as having good bar food. We know all about good bar food, but more on Donovan's in a later post, probably written by Wesley, who is an expert on the subject.

There was one thing that Columbus had in spades, and that was cool, funky vintage stores. I picked up a couple of choice threads while I was there. Wesley got himself a Canada keychain that he still uses today. If you're planning a road trip to visit vintage stores, make sure you stop in Columbus.

But back to Queens. Our stay in Columbus was brightened by the presence of a young lady named Tara, whose job it was to keep all of us sane and well-supplied with everything we needed to get our jobs done. Though Tara and her compadre often did not leave the 16th floor of the OSU dorm room for days on end, she always had a smile and never let anyone down.

Ms. Tara and her boyfriend Dan have opened an adorable store on Skillman between 48th & 49th. It's called Stray - Vintage and More, and it couldn't be cuter. They've got candles, scented lotion and the like, as well as records, vintage clothing, home furnishings, tchotchkes, and more. I wheedled Wesley into buying me a Tiffany-style stained glass mirror with a rose on it. My apologies to the women who were looking at it when I snatched it off the wall--I'd already called dibs at the register. That's Queens, baby.

The prices are right, the atmosphere welcoming, and the goods unique. Wesley and I say, "Stray, stay!"

StrayVintage@gmail.com
buy/sell/consignment
candles * oils * good smells * vinyl * cds * antiques * vintage clothing * MORE
48-09 Skillman Avenue in Sunnyside Queens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

stray is incredible. i stopped in a week ago and i can't stop thinking about it. the place is so charming and tasteful, like it was parachuted in from the east village. i'm going back in there pronto to do some christmas shopping and everyone else should too. these pioneering kids are following a dream and making a go of this business. i hope they get stinking rich.

Anonymous said...

Stray is awesome! The neighborhood desperately need a funky store and this is it. Finally!

Anonymous said...

I really like stray, though as a middle aged fuddy duddy all I could buy from them were some really cool Typewriter Key Cuff Links for my work drag.

I'm glad they're there and I hope that the neighborhood can remain cool, incorporating the onslaught of hip freeze that they bring to Sunnyside.

(I'm having my issues with my former hipster self these days)

http://westernqueensland.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/kiko-and-mike/

Unknown said...

i recently stopped by this store because i was in the area and i needed a gift for a good friend of mine, but i had NO IDEAS on what to get her! both of the owners were there and they really helped me out with gift ideas and i wound up getting THE PERFECT GIFT for my friend! my friend was estatic when i gave her the candle and ring i bought her! it's the best vintage gift store around! and very reasonable with pricing! i highly reccommend it!

Anonymous said...

this is seriously the cutest store ever and the owners couldnt be sweeter people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just popped into Stray Vintage a few weeks ago and, again, was totally surprised at their new merchandise. There is no "getting bored" with this place. Always interesting, be it the merchandise or the owners, who are two of the coolest cats around!

Anonymous said...

I went in today with my best friend. We fell in love with the store immediately and were quite shocked to find such awesomeness in little old Sunnyside :) The prices are great, and Dan, the owner was very friendly. We will definitely be stopping by again!