Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sunnyside Gardens Farm


When rumors of an "Amish market-style store" coming to Sunnyside broke over a year ago at the dog park, we stalked the storefront on Skillman Avenue between 46th and 47th like Manhattanites stalk a new velvet rope club. Would they have gourmet cheeses? What about olives? Fresh breads?

Faster than the A-team could put a plan together, Sunnyside Gardens Farm opened, selling an array of cheeses, pastas, veggies, breads, deli items, and hummus. Seeing as Paul and I consume hummus like those in a coma consume fluids, this was a big selling point.

I'll admit that I pilgrimage to Sunnyside Gardens Farm nearly every other day to restock the hummus supply and partake in the well stocked olive bar. While yes, the produce can be hit or miss, and we did recently see the olives being "shined up" by an employee spraying PAM on them, the fact that we can buy interesting products only a block from home without being hit in the ankles by people attempting to cram carriages down tiny aisles it is a huge plus.

As a little lady I also appreciate the fact that everything I want doesn't involve me having to scale racks like they were Everest or stalking a tall man at the end of the aisle in hopes that he will take pity on me and reach the rice wedged on the 7 foot high shelf.

The Turkish owner has become a neighborhood staple, waving to Paul yelling "Hello my friend" everytime he sees him down the block. I said to Paul, "what are you running for mayor? Is he your constituent?" But that is just how genuinely nice he is, and he and the equally friendly staff make you want to spend your money on Turkish bread and gourmet chocolate just to help them succeed.

So if you haven't already definitely check out the Sunnyside Gardens Farm market, just keep your hands off the roasted pine nut hummus, that's mine!
(Photo credit: Paul Grove)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the farm is such an amazing step up from that dangerously filthy bodega it replaced. i agree it deserves our support.

Wesley Dumont said...

nice post. thanks for the tip. WD

Anonymous said...

I just want to ask Lynn...Are you a writer by profession or are you just a witty person in general? I've read some of your posts and I love your writing style. If you're not a profession writer already, maybe you should consider changing careers.