Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Turkish Grill

When I was a kid one of my favorite movies was Mermaids, because I loved the fact that Cher's character only cooked appetizer food. I thought this was a brilliant idea, as I loved appetizers and often could care less about the main course.

Well now that I am an adult I realize that perhaps dip and starters don't always constitute a meal, however, I do resurrect and revel in my childhood fantasy every time I go to Turkish Grill on 42nd street and Queens Boulevard.

Off in a table in the corner, Paul and I stared at the amazing starters and while as vegetarians the lamb and meat entrees were overlooked, unlike many omnivorous restaurants there was plenty else for us to eat aside from garnish. We ordered hummus, babaganoush, stuffed grape leaves, ezme salad, and sigara boregi (aka cheese cigars.)

The tables were fairly close together so we attempted to do what we always do when out, eavesdrop on others. However, the majority of people who were there were actually Turkish so our surveillance was limited.

On this latest trip they were out of the ezme salad, but the rest of the dishes were delicious. and accompanied by fantastic Turkish bread assuring we ate every last scrap. Service can vary from overattentive to having to flag down your check. despite this everyone is always polite and friendly and make you feel comfortable being there even though it can feel as if you are eating in a foreign country.

So bravo Turkish Grill for not only making wonderful food, but for showing Queens that appetizers can most certainly make a meal!

1 comment:

Jeremy Kareken said...

Mangal MANGAL MMMAAANNNGGGGAAALLL

Check out Mangal for marvelous kebabs!

http://www.yahoogroups.com/sunnysideny