Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Going Postal

I went to the post office this afternoon, which I'm sure people do everyday. But, only the handful of people who have ever been to the Sunnyside Queens Post Office will have any empathy for what I am about to describe.

Go to the post office on a Saturday morning, and you will find a line out the door, disgruntled people fanning themselves, as New York 1 blares out of the TV in the corner, one half-dead looking woman behind the open service window. I assumed there was always a line because it was Saturday morning and the only time when most people could make it to the post office. This apparently is not true.

I went today, at 2pm. There was a line out the door. A line of people who looked so miserable that you would've thought they were on line for strip searches at the airport. So I do what I always do, go to the automated postal machine. Now in Manhattan, the automated postal machines usually have a longer line than the teller windows. However, in Sunnyside Queens, 90% of the people on line at the post office either are waiting to get money orders to send to relatives in South America, are 93 years old and want the teller to personally put a stamp on their Con Edison bill, or cannot read English (the only language the machine offers instructions in).

So I put my package on the scale and started transacting. I then hear, "Shut your f*cking mouth, just shut your f*cking mouth!" Assuming it was one of the disgruntled line waiters, I looked around to see who had attempted to cut whom in line. Then I looked back and saw it was the postal worker who was yelling at the customer.

The customer yells back, "I know you Danny, I know how you are. Try to get my package to the right place this time, last time it ended up in Uruguay." This Danny fellow he was yelling at, was a large postal worker with man boobs (all of our postal workers seem to have man-boobs) who just happened to be walking behind the window area.

Apparently Danny didn't like the fact that this customer apparently held him personally responsible for his mail ending up in Uruguay and announcing his incompetence to the entire building. Danny started yelling again and came out behind the magic postal office secret door into the area where everyone was waiting on line and had been for the past hour. He started screaming again, "Just shut your f*cking mouth, zip it, I don't want to hear it from you anymore."

The customer said, "This place is a joke it is always the same with you people."
Danny the postal worker, now more red in the face started yelling, "Just shut your f*cking mouth, it isn't our fault, they won't hire more people here, call someone who cares to complain." At this point, the one person who had actually been working at the desk came out to join Danny, as did two other postal workers in a postal worker gang formation.

I spun around and continued to type in the zip code of my package afraid that there was going to be a lock-in or something!

Disgruntled customer started yelling, "I call that goddamn number all the time, nothing happens." One of the other postal workers told the customer to watch his language, pointing to a child standing on line. Though when his coworker was dropping the F-bomb 10 seconds prior he couldn't care less about the kid on line.

Danny the red faced, man boobed, worker started screaming, "If you don't shut your f*cking mouth."

At this point my little automated postal friend-machine spit out my postage without cursing at me nor telling me I was a moron for not signing on the dotted line somewhere. I headed out while Danny and the worker were still arguing as I didn't want to have the people waiting on line tomorrow to witness my accidental slaying on New York 1.

So as you shell out your extra 2 cents for a stamp, rest assured it isn't going to customer service training for the folks in the Sunnyside Post Office, I can only hope it is going towards more automated postal machines!

10 comments:

grvsmth said...

The Woodside post office is just as bad; in fact, so are the ones I've been to in the Bronx and Brooklyn. Someone at the USPS clearly decided that the outer boroughs aren't worth any time or money.

At this point I've decided to avoid the post office as much as possible, so I buy my stamps elsewhere and send packages via UPS or FedEx, which are often cheaper. Still, sometimes I have to go pick up a package or something, and it's hell.

You can count me in on any campaign to reform the post offices in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sunnyside resident here, I love your blog. I remember reading another comment on a Queens blog that described the Sunnyside Post Office as "the worst place in the world." I went there on Saturday to pick up a package and left without bothering to wait in line, and I'm dreading going back.

Jeremy Kareken said...

I long ago went to Stamps.com for sending packages. And I always do my best to get packages from UPS/FedEx... My postal carrier is quite nice, actually, but on the off chance that he misses me, ugh.. I have to hit that hellhole that is the Sunnyside USPS. It's the only profitable wing of government, but I have no idea why!

Robyn said...

My long distance friends and relatives don't understand why I am loathe to conduct any kind of correspondence with them via the USPS. I make it a point to bring them to the Sunnyside post office when they visit so they can see why. It is a nightmare! That said, I have had as bad or worse experiences in Corona and the south side of Williamsburg.

Anonymous said...

90% of the time there's a long line and I walk out. If I just need stamps I use the vending machine. Unless it's out of order. When I've had to wait in line I've seen my share of confrontations. I usually side with the customer. Though sometimes we're not right. Most of the window staff operate at a "government job" pace. My apartment mailman always has headphones on and avoids eye contact. Then there's the mailman who I see eating at the pizzaria on Skillman and 44th/44rd a lot. Does he go there every day?

Long Island city had a spacious, empty post office. I went there once for my passport. One person at the window ahead of me. It was raining hard that day though.

Anonymous said...

That was 44th/43rd St. How embarrassing. I'm going to kill myself.

Anonymous said...

I've lived right across from the Sunnyside PO for 7 years. It is literally the worst post office I've ever experienced. They are slow, rude & not so bright. They don't bother telling you if you have a package. When you KNOW there's one for you but don't have a slip you have to fight to get them to look. Then finally they'll find it. One time they addressed the pink package slip wrong and told me it was MY fault they couldn't find my package. Don't even start me with postman... I literally get my neighbor's mail everyday. I get things in front of my door weekly that were in other boxes. HOW HARD IS IT TO SORT MAIL THAT HAS THE PROPER NAME ON IT? I truly hate them!

Anonymous said...

FUCK the Sunnyside post office! I finally spoke to the superintendent there today, who said "It's only gonna get worse!" That's his reply to my complaint. And I speak English! I don't know how the people who are sending money back to their families deal with the place...it's unreal.

By far the worse one I've been to, and I've lived in Ohio, New Jersey, Brooklyn and Queens. The best in NYC has probably been the one at Grand Central...not the nicest people, but the line moves along. And there are some awesome post officers there who ARE actually helpful. Shocker.

Anonymous said...

"GO POSTAL!" is the way those people work there. The Post Office on 125th Street is worse, but not by much.

I wish I knew when it was empty, though I'm not sure I'd still go.

One time when I went in the clerk, a Trinidadian Man, saw my work ID and connected to one of my co-workers who was on a local Trinidadian Calypso talk show. That was pretty cool.

But what about that new "Window Treatment" shop across the street? What is it?

Anonymous said...

I once walked in and there was NOBODY on line.

I'm not telling when that was, though.