Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Keeping the Sidewalk Safe for Pedestrians

I'm telling you, the sidewalk bikers are infuriating me.

Today I had a delivery guy WHIZZ past me, pedaling as hard as he could, on the sidewalk. So not cool! And not legal, right? He was only 1 of seven sidewalk bicyclers I encountered on 47th Avenue between 43rd Street and 38th Street.

The cops don't care--they have too much else going on. It really sucks. I shouldn't have to watch out for dangerous vehicles while I'm on the motherfucking sidewalk.

Honestly.

3 comments:

grvsmth said...

Just two weeks ago an SUV crippled a teenager on the corner of 47th and Queens Boulevard. Roughly the same thing happened two years ago to a friend of mine on the corner of 43rd and 51st.

Here's a few more dangerous sidewalk situations this month courtesy of :

A woman was killed on the sidewalk by a guy driving a Honda on Wednesday in Bay Ridge.

A car ran across the sidewalk into a house in Brooklyn on the 21st.

Two teenagers were sent to the hospital by an out-of-control car in Kensington on the 18th.

Three people were injured by an out-of-control taxi on the 19th.

Someone was injured while inside a bank by a car in Flushing on the 12th.

Three people were injured by an SUV in Manhattan on June 13.

Two people were injured inside a bank and a post office in separate crashes in New Jersey this month.

Please keep some perspective about the true danger on the sidewalk. It does nobody any good to blow one threat way out of proportion while ignoring another.

grvsmth said...

I don't mean to be unsympathetic. I hate it when cyclists ride dangerously on the sidewalk. I'm just tired of cyclists getting so much of the anger.

Wesley Dumont said...

Cyclists don't belong on the sidewalk.