Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Donuts or Bust - Nita's European Bakery.



Sunday mornings can be awesome. I don't think I really new how to appreciate a Sunday morning until I moved to New York. My old home town didn't have a brunch culture (also known as 'The Fisting'), didn't know how to spell New York Times, and revolved almost entirely around football and therefore booze.

But when J. from down the block told me about creme-filled donuts at The European Bakery on Greenpoint Ave., I knew Sunday's in Queens were about to get a lot better.

But, I'm having one of those weeks. Okay, ten day stretches. Hmm. Anyway, after dealing with some bidness over by the river this morning at 630 or so, I found myself outside this joint by 8. Earlier in the week I had gone in to scope out the place and bought what turned out to be damn fine - if small - muffins and a groovy little thing called a coffee ring. But, I was ready to dig on a donut. I NEEDED a donut.

Do you know who the Soup Nazi is? I used to work around the corner from Soup Kitchen International. It was good soup, made famous (better??) by being immortalized on an episode of Seinfeld. It wasn't too far from true. And, talk about a real - at least before the immortalization - New York Experience. There really is nothing like the desire for good food coupled with the trials to get it that will make New York eating, New York Eating.

Anyway, I ordered the donuts. I got, 'No donuts, today.' 'But, it's Sunday,' I countered. 'No donuts,' was all the response I could get.

So, if I'm up for it, and if God's willing, some time soon I'll be telling you about a creme-filled donut and a real New York experience. But for now, I'm just going to wolf down this crispy-on-the-outside-chewy-on-the-inside cinnamon roll and listen to Kristen Shaughnessy talk about the morning papers while I read the NYTimes online.
I love her. I love the Times. And, though I long for a donut, I love these cinnamon rolls.

NOTE: Nita's received a respectable 13 on it's last inspection.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Alas, dear Wesley, when I was 10 on the way home from a camping trip from Maine, in the back seat of my parents Pinto station wagon with wooded sides and bucket seats...I threw up after eating a donut.

Twenty years later, and I still won't eat them. But a cinnamon bun...those sound good!

efain said...

for truly ass-kicking donuts and the best cinnamon rolls in Queens-y'all should try Alpha donuts! It's right by the Sunnyside arch.
But get there early because the cinnamon rolls sell out quickly!

Claire Deveron said...

Like how early, efain?

efain said...

I'd say definately get there before 10 am. Besides the early bird gets the fresher donut! All the Alpha donuts are yummy but the cinnamon rolls definately rock! They are HUGE too!

efain said...

The Alpha cinnamon rolls are very similar to the Dunkin Donut coffee rolls except they are like twice as big. They're swirly, coated with glaze and the swirls are lined with cinnamon. La Marjolaine (up on Skillman across from Aubergine) also has yummy buttery French-style cinnamon rolls and delicious almond croissants.

Anonymous said...

The Poppy-Seed bars are to die for.

http://todayeye.wordpress.com/