Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

A 7 Train Experiment

The 7 train at 40th Street is usually a nightmare on weekday mornings. Too many people, not enough trains. I hit the platform between 7:45 and 8 am, and I've often had to let 2 or 3 trains go by before I can actually squeeze on to one. Everyone is in a bad mood (me included), and in the recent cold weather tempers have been flaring.

This week, I attempted an experiment. I hopped a Flushing-bound 7 train to 61st Street, and got the Manhattan-bound train there. Instead of standing on the platform freezing, I was warm and toasty on the train, reading my book. The Manhattan-bound express was crowded, but it was nothing compared to the crowds that I was seeing on the local platforms. I ran this experiment on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, and it basically took me the same amount of time. Or if it took longer, it felt less stressful.

I'm not sure yet if this is a winning strategy or not. Anyone else have tips for mastering the morning commute?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

61st St.

Wesley Dumont said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wesley Dumont said...

I say better to add a few minutes to your commute and remain warm and reading than to suffer the slings and arrows of the bitter local.

Anonymous said...

this morning at 52nd street i thought of this blog made the radical decision to take a flushing bound local and got off at 61st just as the manhattan bound local was entering the station. at 8:53a i boarded an express without a seat but a much better vibe than the sardine style local. we overtook the local at 46th st/bliss. by the time that local (i would have normally taken) had arrived at QB Plaza i had already changed to the N train and was pulling away from the station feeling like it was a promising start to my day. thank you claire for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

Nice, sunnyside spark!

Anonymous said...

Depending on where you live and where you work, it may also be more comfortable to take the Q39 or Q67 bus to connect with the E or V at 23rd/Ely, or the Q32 or Q60 to Queens Plaza. When I lived on 50th Avenue I even took the B24 to catch the L train in Brooklyn.

Sometimes it's even worth spending the money for a peak-direction LIRR ticket to Penn Station.

Anonymous said...

I've considered the bus, but have never tried it. Sounds like a good experiment for this blog...

Anonymous said...

I work way on the westside. If I took the 7 I'd have to transfer to the A/E/C then walk 2 blocks. Instead, I take the LIRR. It costs more but here's the catch...50% of the time they don't ask for your ticket, because so few people commute from Woodside via LIRR, and because it's so close sometimes on the way home you get off the train before the conductor gets to you. Depending on the time you go you have a better chance of getting a seat, it runs on schedule, and oh yeah, it's 10 minutese from 61st st. to Penn Station.

-dan