Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Greatest Move Of All

Wesley and I just moved--but before you scorn us for deserting a neighborhood we claim to love so much, we only moved 7 houses down. Our former apartment was the top floor of a 2 family home that housed 3 families: a studio apartment in the basement, a 2-bedroom on the first floor, and a 2.5-bedroom on the 2nd floor. Friends of Wesley's discovered the place about 10 years ago, with Wesley moving in about 5 years ago (he had previously lived on another block in Sunnyside on the other side of the Boulevard). I arrived on the scene around the time of our wedding in December 2003, fresh from the West Village and full of attitude.

I had lived at the corner of Bedford and Leroy since April 1997, and before that I lived on the other side of Washington Square Park in NYU graduate housing. When I moved to Sunnyside, I was surprised and amazed at how wonderfully quiet it was. At my old place, there were 2 bars about 20 yards from my bedroom window, and I was frequently woken up in the middle of the night by cigarette smoke (post-smoking ban) and couples breaking up with each other. My favorite was a woman screaming, "You get back here and break up with me properly!"

Despite the loudness and chaos of the Wee-Vill, as my one roommate and I called it, I loved the convenience. I used to walk to the movie theater on 23rd and Broadway, or down to jobs I had in Tribeca. I was right around the corner from Film Forum, Grey Dog Coffee, and Evergreen Video. When we went out, if one bar was too crowded, we went to another. I could get delivery from a hundred restaurants.

Sunnyside couldn't have been more different. The movie theater is a dump that plays only the most commercial releases. My video store is Netflix--Hollywood Video is too far a walk, and the closer video store has no selection because its primary business is cell phone accessory sales. As for delivery? We have about 5 menus in heavy rotation: Mexican made by the Chinese, decent Thai, not-spicy-enough-for-Wesley Indian, pizza, and New Post Diner. Occasionally we splurge on Turkish or sushi.

If you read the articles on Sunnyside in this week's Time Out New York or today's New York Times and find yourself curious about life in our neighborhood, please take caution from this transplanted Manhattanite: Life here is not easy like it is across the East River. You will have to adapt. You will have to change. You will become a different person. This place doesn't look like Manhattan, it doesn't feel like Manhattan, and--surprise!--it doesn't have to be anything at all like Manhattan to be a wonderful place to live. If this scares you, then don't bother: there's a whole other borough to the south that you'll like better.

As for me, I like to think I've changed for the better. I'm thriftier, less demanding, more accommodating. In Manhattan, I thought I hated to cook. In Queens, I discovered my inner Top Chef.

Back to our move. In the last year, our living situation degenerated largely due to an absentee landlord who didn't care about livability. It used to be funny--his repairs were always done shoddily with the cheapest material available. There was a leak into the basement that he fixed by repaving the sidewalk. The result is an uneven patch that fills up with water whenever there's even the tiniest amount of rain. We called it "Cunniffe-manship." But when the first-floor neighbors proved unwilling to turn their music down and our landlord refused to stand up for our right to live in peace, we were at a loss. Our home life was fraught with tension; our peaceable kingdom had become a warzone.

Enter the old-fashioned concept of neighborliness. There are a lot of older people on our block, many of whom were born in their homes. Wesley has always said "hi," learned their names, even pitched in with the snow shovel when necessary. I guess we were not the only ones who noticed that the folks on the first floor were uninterested in community standards, because Wesley got stopped by one of our neighbors back in November. M. asked, "Are you happy where you're living?" Wesley said, "Why?" She said, "Because P's top floor apartment is going to be available. Her tenants are moving out." We met P, just seven houses down, who couldn't have been happier to rent the apartment to someone who already lived on the block. Her previous tenants spoke highly of their experience renting from P, who lives on the first floor and has the entry way beautifully fixed up. We walked our stuff down the street on Thursday, and here we are.

Watch for forthcoming posts on the Carpet City on Northern Boulevard (take that, Home Depot!), as well as an update on the situation at the YMCA. One of the managers called me to assure me that things would be changing for the better. I haven't been in a month because of illness and travel, but I'm headed back today to resume my 4x/week running schedule.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even moving a few houses over can give you a whole new perspective. Enjoy the new place!