Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Staten Island Has at Least One Saving Grace


I was saved by Bob in Staten Island. I was Gaffing a show for blah, blah, blah and the lock on my truck got busted by an inattentive crew member. I hired her, but production was still going to have to pay because that's the way it goes. They called a locksmith. He kindly offered to come out, drill through the lock and charge us a mere $500.00

I was getting heat from production on this which could only mean delays in payment for me.

So, I called a locksmith who I knew as knowledgeable and trustworthy (Galaxy Locksmith, Tremont Ave. in The Bronx). He didn't know anyone who serviced my brand in Staten Island, but told me to call Stein in Queens or Frank in Brooklyn. Frank said he knew a guy in Staten Island who sells that brand.

That guy is Bob. He's a great locksmith. He's a superb human being.

I had about an hour before we moved from our lunch break and into the next location where we would have to have the truck. I could go the quick route, Bob said, and drill it out.

Or, we could chance it he said, and try to get it open without destroying it. Could take five minutes, could take an hour. But, he was willing to give it a shot. He got it open in three. Replaced the lock, with some effort, in twenty. It was so fast and cheap, I bought two locks.

He could have really screwed me. He knew I had to be back to shoot. Instead, he did what he did and charged me what he would charge anyone else.

There's a lesson here, too about living and working in New York. Sometimes, when you think people are going to screw you over, you're right. That's when you make take a deep breath, make some calls and find someone like Bob.

I was at the next location on time, production had to pay the $85 to get into the truck and have the lock removed. I paid $85 for two new locks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It has been a banner week for Claire and Wesley in the automobile department! Perhaps you 2 should stick with the subway this weekend....oh wait, since it isn't running that could take longer than gettign a locksmith to Staten Island!

Anonymous said...

There is one other saving grace on Staten Island: The Jacques Marchais Museum of Tibetan Art on Lighthouse Ave. It's a quirky little museum packed with Zen paintings and figurines. The main attraction is their lovely meditation garden. I visited ten years ago to write a term paper for a world religions class and I vaguely recall they let you bring lunch to the garden. If not, you can just hang out or meditate. Feels like a faraway place hard to believe you're in nyc. Its worth a day trip when the weather gets nicer.
But that's it, tibetan art and your righteous locksmith. Other than that I have no interest in Staten Island. Ok, let's bring this blog back to our hood please.

Wesley Dumont said...

right! Went to Nita's again this morning. Man. What nice stuff. Had the cinnamon rolls. buttery fluffy crispy sugary awesomeness that puts the smack down on dunkin'!