Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Chicks Dig Fish on Dates While Fried is Just the Thing for the Men



What has happened with Bliss could have easily happened here at The Kettle nee The Copper Kettle. Turns out the price of heavy metals have risen so sharply, it's too costly even to keep 'Copper' in the name. Well, good thinking there boys, you might make it through another year yet. Especially with the coming demise of Bliss as foretold in these pages lo these many times.

There's nothing special about The Kettle, really. Another restaurant-meets-pub from central casting. Decent enough service, what they lack in skill they tend to make up for in obsequiousness. Not that that is a good thing or a fine standard.

Claire had the salmon, which was overcooked, but they always are at these places. Nary a restaurant east of Lex knows that salmon is best when it's rare. Sad that these poor creatures with mere decades left on their entire species lifespan can't get the respect they deserve. 2048 People! End of Sea food! Learn how to cook a Salmon.

Is it okay to send it back? Why, it's absolutely necessary.

And a burger. I've gone here for the fish and chips, but the size of the burger gets me every time. It's so beautiful. And, as such, it was this time too. But what my poor poor brain always neglects to tell me is that these motherfuggers don't carry nothing but coleman's mustard and gray poupon.
Can I get and ARRRRGH!? Give something Spicy brown. Not over powering. Even yellow. Something one can really glom on there.

Ugh. yeahitsgood. itsfinefine. dontworry. i'll eatit. iwill. thanks. salmonsfinetooshelovedit we'llbeback.

Some day soon I'm going to eat the shit out of Quaint and if those bastards don't make a fucking miracle and put it in front of me and all the glory of heaven doesn't envelope me in a loving mustard that is bitter but not overbearing, things will get ugly there.

Kettle -that's your name now. too mediocre to keep the 'The' , really. Keep up the b-level game. You'll live in this nabe as Bliss goes down.

Quaint, with that name and all this buzz, I'm coming in there and ordering the yogurt covered pizza with porcini and I'm sending it back, and when they come back to take my order once more,I will scream about the torture your father exacted on my father back in the old country that was just like this in every way, He would come in, my father, after having the salmon at La Taza and then sit down quietly here at Quaint.

Then the dance would begin. I watch and learned. I watched and I learned.

The Dance of The Nine Widows will not compare the the wailing sounds of Claire and Wesley should the burger at Quaint not , I repeat, not be better than all other burgers of our tiny villa.

good night and God Bless


ps-
anywone know where to buy a good used car?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you DRUNK when you wrote this? Salmon is NOT always best rare. I happen to like it rare sometimes, but it's a fatty and flaky fish, which can be done either rare or to flaky goodness. Tuna, I'll agree, need be rare. But salmon? You gots yer cherse.

Wesley Dumont said...

But, well done when you don't ask for it? I don't know, anonymous. I think not.

know where to buy a good used car in Queens?

Anonymous said...

God, go back to Manhattan please.

Wesley Dumont said...

Look at the big balls on 'anonymous'.

Jeremy Kareken said...

I wasn't the second anonymous poster, but I was the first. Rare is not nor should it be the default position for salmon. Tuna, yes, salmon, no. Any chef or sous-chef will tell you that. You have a temperature, tell the waitron. Fahgahdsake, don't assume they're mindreaders. sheesh. Yes, I do know where to buy a good used car in Queens. Walk up and down the streets of sunnyside and use one of our mechanics to check it out. Or, just go to Magic Touch on Barnett and ask if they have any for sale.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the word waitron!
Three words I hate: bunting, busker, and mufti.

This particular piece of salmon had all the juice cooked out of it. It was like being in the Midwest, where people are scared that fish can live outside the water even after being cooked a little bit. When I cook salmon for me & Wesley, I go for well done but I still want it to have some life--have it flake apart when you take a fork to it. I shouldn't have to bear down to get a piece.

Wesley Dumont said...

Thanks, Jeremy.

We lost out on a nice Subaru last night cuz we wanted to have it checked out at Manners and it was sold before we could get it there.

Magic Touch. Sounds good.

We'll have to agree to disagree about
salmon.

Where do you buy your fresh fish? We like the place just off of Greenpoint and 42nd, around from Mother's Garden. Can't remember the name.

Jeremy Kareken said...

I like the place on 42nd and QBlvd, but don't love it. Their oysters and skate from last night were just fine. Do you have a car? There's a terrific Chinese supermarket called J-Mart in Woodside, 56th and 34th I think. Clean, and they serve live fish there. Can't beat these Cantonese supermarkets for their cleanliness and freshness.

Then there's Astoria Seafood on 36th ave, which is quite good. Just to point out... I don't technically disagree with you on Salmon.

Some like it rare, some fully cooked. I like it both ways, depending how I'm cookin it. On the grill outside? rare. In the oven wrapped in bacon? well done.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 2 has a point.... Who are you writing for? You sound like a bunch of people who desperately want Sunnyside to be the next Williamsburg so you can say you were here first. Never mind the people who lived here for years before you got here, and who made this the great neighborhood it is. If they don't look at everything through pseudo-cosmopolitan Manhattan-centered (but ultimately not Manhattan in origin) glasses, their view can't possibly be worth much, right? As a Sunnysider, I thought this might be a fun blog to follow, but I done with it now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sunnysider:

You might want to actually read our blog, instead of just writing us off because we like to cook. I think you'll find you couldn't be more wrong about us.

Williamsburg, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Claire,

I have read your blog. You and your fellow bloggers might want to review your own blog, starting with the epigraph. The supercilious tone pervades: There is no post that does not in some way directly or indirectly disparage Queens/Sunnyside even when the post is generally raving or complimenting something. Every entry implies a negative comparison of Sunnyside to Manhattan or the gentrified parts of Brooklyn. Why live here if it's such a great compromise? - unless you think you're going to 'save' this place from its ignorant natives.

I love great food, too, Claire. But I'm not going to get all disappointed and snotty when a neighborhood eatery-pub doesn't turn out to be a three-star bistro.

Anyway, too bad. This blog is a great idea poorly executed.

Bye.

Jeremy Kareken said...

Don't go yet! Can I suggest you join us at the SunnysideNY Yahoogroup? You can write about what YOU want. We've had some nice thoughts recently about landmarking, pro and con. Come join us. I promise I won't open up a foofy foo foo restaurant, or even a pseudo-foo-foo restaurant. I'll eat tacos at the truck on 41st!

Just do a search for Sunnyside on the yahoogroups. This is open to the people who like foofy food too.

Jeremy Kareken said...

ps... did you hear me this morning on Brian Lehrer... doin a shout out for Landmarking?! Go landmarking! Keep da slum lords out!

Anonymous said...

I just signed up for the yahoogroup--thanks for telling us about it.

Wesley Dumont said...

Who knew people would get so upset about how to cook Salmon?

It reminds of that time I got 'Spanish Rice' in jail. It was the first time it tasted like I thought it should - cuz I always compared Spanish rice to what I got in the school cafeteria.

Now, I like it nice and fluffy, without ketchup.

But, if someone were to tell me that they like it in a big, sweet sticky lump, I probably wouldn't tell them to fuck off back to where they came from.

See ya, Sunnysider. I'll put my Queens years to your "Native" any day.

Anonymous said...

I love the Copper Kettle restaurant. The staff are always so friendly and attentive. I love their menu and they always have fantastic specials. It is a very local bar and you are guaranteed to strike up conversation with your neighbour at the bar. decent prices too.