Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

At Least a Cop Was There

School's back in session, which means at certain hours of the day the streets are swarming with teenagers. I've generally found them to be tolerable--they do form large crowds that block the sidewalk, but if you say "Excuse me" they move out of the way.

The 7 train platform is another story.

I was on a train that arrived at 40th Street at 4pm. As soon as the train stopped, each door was mobbed by a large group of teenagers, who were not at all interested in letting anyone off the train.

Right in front of me, a poor woman lugging a very heavy-looking parcel on a wheeled rack and carrying a large portfolio-sized parcel was KNOCKED TO THE GROUND by the crowd.

To their credit, a few reached out to help her up and to pick her parcels up. But most of them just climbed over her, making it even more difficult for the rest of us to exit the train. She was shaken up by it, and rightly so. It hurts to fall down. I'm not even going to get into the heebie jeebies it gave me, 7 months pregnant, contemplating what could've happened if it'd been me.

There was one cop on the platform trying to manage the situation, but he was woefully outnumbered and most of them were ignoring him. This girl fell only three doors from where he was standing.

No comments: