Why the hell should I trek all the way out to Queens? Answers within.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

In Denial Over El Comelon

I kept telling myself that the busy signal meant that they were having phone troubles. I finally walked by there today and confirmed that my favorite purveyor of rice and beans and fried plantains is gone. Seriously, I'm devastated. They could carmelize an onion like you wouldn't believe. Unless you've had the grilled chicken and onions, in which case I know you're salivating right now. And we never even blogged about it.

So where do I go now? I know there are tons more options on Greenpoint, according to the New York Times and the Department of Health. What have I been missing thanks to my obsession with El Comelon?

5 comments:

grvsmth said...

Oh no! That's awful. I wish I could tell you that there's a place as good as El Comelon in the area, but sadly I haven't been to one.

Anonymous said...

Please don't worry, El Comelon fans - they are merely remodeling their kitchen, and will reopen in early October.

Anonymous said...

That's the best news I've heard all day.

Sunnysider said...

Are you sure they didn't permanently close Kathy? If they were just renovating the kitchen, why did the sign come down?

Virgil said...

I walked by El Comelon last week and the metal grate was parway up; there was a paper sign on it saying that they were renovating and would reopen soon. Thank god.